New Creatives is an exciting talent development scheme that offers commissioning opportunities for emerging artists to create new work in film, audio or interactive media, designed for BBC platforms.
Calling the Shots is running the New Creatives project for the South West region, working with partner organisations Somerset Film (Bridgwater), Kaleider (Exeter), Create Studios (Swindon), Screen Cornwall (Redruth) and Watershed (Bristol).
Who can apply?
We’re looking for South West-based creatives between the ages of 16-30 who want to develop their original idea into a professional short film, audio or interactive media work.
New Creatives can come from any arts background (e.g dancers, actors, performers, musicians, writers, film makers, comedians, visual artists, animators, poets, storytellers and games designers), or non-arts backgrounds and you don’t need experience in film, audio or interactive to apply. We positively encourage applications from artists of all backgrounds, identities, abilities and cultures.
What kind of ideas are we looking for?
We want to see proposals for fresh, innovative short films, audio and interactive media that reflect in some way on the experience of living in modern Britain. The ideas can be serious, comedic, absurd, challenging, provocative or abstract. We’re looking for you to push the boundaries on what constitutes art, make people think, and encourage new ways of understanding the world and ourselves. Think differently and steer away from existing forms like pure journalism or current affairs documentary.
1. Set up an account and submit your application via our dedicated submissions platform, APPLY HERE>>
2. If shortlisted you receive three days training at one of our six New Creative hubs around the South West region (whichever is closest to you). The sessions will cover ideas development and training in broadcast audio, and self-branding and marketing.
3. Developed ideas get pitched to the BBC and CTS execs and the best ones are commissioned.
4. Each commissioned New Creative will receive a budget, professional mentoring and support to produce a broadcast quality work.
5. Finished work is delivered to BBC and may be selected for a new strand, BBC Introducing Arts, which will showcase and introduce new artistic talent from across the UK via all BBC platforms – on BBC iPlayer, BBC Sounds, BBC television and radio – and beyond. We’ll look to identify the best platform for each idea.
READ OUR FAQS HERE>>
Who is involved in the New Creatives project?
This is a unique partnership between the BBC, Arts Council England and five creative media production organisations across England, Calling the Shots (South West), ICA (London), Screen South (South East), Tyneside Cinema (The North) and the Rural Media Company (Midlands).
Keep in Touch
To be sure you don’t miss out on news and commissioning deadlines, receive our New Creatives newsletter by SIGNING UP HERE>>
We’re committed to making New Creatives accessible to everyone of all abilities. If you require any of this information or the application form in a different format, email us or phone on 0117 930 0141.
Our next deadline for film and audio ideas is SUNDAY 10th MARCH 2019 (at midnight), APPLY NOW!